Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Scary morning

I woke up early this morning to the smell of smoke---went downstairs to find my basement filled with smoke and discovered that one of the pots of wool that I dyed yesterday was left on and the wool was smoldering in the pot.  I hardly ever leave a pot on the stove but it was the last pot and I knew that I was going to be dyeing again this morning so I left it on the stove to cool---ha!  Instead of the burner getting turned off it was turned to high.  The wool was crispy in the pot.  The smoke alarm didn't go off. I didn't wake my husband up and he never smelled  it.  I opened up the whole house and got the fans going and got rid of the smoke pretty quickly but am hoping the smell will go away---fortunately neither the heat or air conditioning was on so it didn't travel through the vents.  I have put out odor absorbers and am hoping that it will not have a long lasting effect.  The thought of having to wash all the wool in my basement is mind boggling.  I have been doing the sniff test and I think I am going to be okay.  I read to put our bread slices soaked in vinegar, I have used febreze and baking powder.  Fortunately there is no carpet in the basement---I plan to take my rugs outside today to give them a breath of fresh air.  This was not on my agenda today as I am busy getting ready for Green Lake Rug Camp and Buckeystown as well.

I ran a 10 K on Sunday and set a new Personal record, doing it in one hour and 42 seconds---I came in 5th in my age group as a lot of the fast runners were doing this one.  My neighbor Kelly who is 29 tan it with me and she keeps me going faster than I normally run so my legs are killer sore!

Chelsea and Noah's house is coming along well---here is a picture that she sent me of her kitchen.

She found these cute chairs on Craigslist---not a great picture.

Here are  her finished pillows that I made ---they are en route to California.

This is the couch they were made for.

Here is a picture of my booth at the hook-in in Warsaw Mo back on Sept. 8th   Thanks Patty and her crew for a great time.

Okay it is time for me to go get busy---hubby is downstairs putting in a new smoke alarm!!  Fred the dog is out in my car as the noise drives hom crazy!!!  Poor Fred.

today will get better...today will get better...today will get better---will saying it three times make it happen????


  1. OMG -a scare but no serious damage.. Glad everything is ok.

  2. Glad everything turned out ok this morning! Congrats on a new personal running best....and the house is super-cute!

  3. Anita,
    Congrats on your personal best! Way to go! Well, just think of it this way (about the wool)....you found out that your smoke alarm doesn't work, luckily wool is slow to ignite, you didn't have your heating or air on and you can probably get away without having to wash all that wool.....I'd say it was pretty darn lucky!
    Love the kitchen!!!!