Thursday, June 13, 2013

A gorgeous day at Pomme de Terre

We drove down yesterday for our last visit to the lake before we head off on our trip to Yellowstone and  the Grand Tetons.  This was our first time to get the jet skis up and running and it was not without it's difficulties but all is well that ends well---had a great ride today---water much smoother than the boat our today for the first time as well and it went pretty smoothly---yeah!  And I caught two crappies but let them go.  May try again later tonight and see if we can catch enough to make it worth cleaning.

My camera broke yesterday so we are in the market for a new camera---hubby want to get one that can be fitted with a waterproof casing for diving.  Anyone have a favorite???

Last Friday I went to the First Friday market in the West Bottoms an purchased three old samplers dated 1827, 1835 and 1841---all of which needed some restoration.  I have done my research and decided not to wash them but did vacuum then with a fiberglass screen over the top after removing them from their frames and mountings---found out how poorly they had been mounted.  I purchased cotton rag board and made cotton slip covers to which I sewed the samplers onto the fabric.  I started with the small one and then went to the largest one---still have the medium one to go.  I also purchased plexiglass spacers that I will put on the glass so it doesn't touch the sampler.  Here are some pictures:

This is a section of the largest one after I sewed it to the fabric 

thuis the middle sized one in it's original frame

This is the smallest one in it's frame---will not be able to reuse this frame because it is not deep enough---sorry it is upside down 

this is the largest one before I took it out of the frame

this is small one after I mounted it on the fabric 

This is the large one remounted

This is what was underneath the sampler---it was wrapped around this and nailed---nails were rusted and yucky ---the was enough of a markin outside the sampler area that I was able to carefully trim that  area off.

while I am not claiming to have done a completely museum quality mount---I do know that I followed their practices and have added many more years to these wonderful schoolgirl samplers.

I will post pictures when I get them back in their frames.  

Have any of you done this---would love to hear from you if you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment